Saturday, November 15, 2008

Why I'm now known as "Wright"


Why I'm now known as "Wright" ... and not "Kon"?
It's simply because I believe I owe it to my beloved 'late' foster Dad (a.k.a. Vernon Dowling Wright) who graciously adopted me when I was made a 'war orphan' (courtesy of the Japanese who invaded then Malaya in 1941 and took both my parents away), to acknowledge his part in my early childhood and the loving support he provided for my welfare & education, etc. besides a 'home' on Penang Island.
When he married the late Margaret Lim Gim Hoon ... I was 're-adopted' into the extended family and 'instantly became one of the Kons'. It was great to 'belong to a bigger family' until they started introducing me to their relatives and friends as "the child Capt. Wright picked up from the garbage bin after the Japanese war" ... as I was noticeably 'very dark in complexion' especially in sharp contrast to the 'fair skinned' daughter Evelyn and son Eddie of Margaret's previous marriage. I was so determined to 'look like' Dad (who being pure British was 'red-ish') and my so called siblings who had almost 'porcelain' skin, I washed & scrubbed myself until I almost turned 'blue black' ... so I finally gave up! Perhaps... this could be one reason why I usually mixed with and had many Indian childhood friends as I felt they were 'colour blind' to my 'extra tanned' skin.
Dad felt that I could better blend into my 'extended family' by changing my surname Wright... to Kon, so now you know WHY I had to drop "Wright" from all my legal documents besides the British Passport I had. Was it W-right, or wrong to become Kon?
My eternal Father knew better... and I shall continue to share more on this subject as He prompts :) THANKS for looking into my "Personal Reflections" and kindly continue to pray with and for me. Bless you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your "candid comments" may bring tears of joy or pain ... to me, other readers and/or my Father ... so KINDLY THINK BEFORE YOU POST :)